Saturday 22 August 2009

Watching Julie & Julia with Juliane

It wasn't how I imagined I would spend my one and only Saturday night in New York but it turned out to be exactly what I needed.

New York hadn't been the best of start with my hotel cancelling my reservation without letting me know. I needed to find somewhere to stay and fast. I was excited about New York - Its always been somewhere I wanted to go and live in so I was pretty psyched to get here but on the flip side it marked two things: The end of my Intrepid tour in the US - I had spent 23 days coped up in a van with a bunch that turned in to a surrogate family i.e. friends you choose but family you just have to deal with! You can't help not wanting to say goodbye as we leave to return to all four corners. New York also means my flight back to London is only a few days away. I hadn't been diligent in writing my diary and don't even get me started on my lack of blogging... I was in New York feeling alone and blue.

I had no idea what the film was about. Neither did I have a clue who Julia Childs was. Meh, I had nothing better to do. 
Columbia Pictures says "intertwines the lives of two women who, though separated by time and space, are both at loose ends -- until they discover that with the right combination of passion, fearlessness and butter, anything is possible."
The film is a true story, of Julia Child (Meryl Steep), the Delia Smith of the US culinary world. As a wife of a diplomat she was moved out to France not knowing a word of French and bored out of her wits she started to learn French cooking, a passion and devotion that went on to teach Americans how to cook and eat with her book: 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking' and subsequent TV shows. As for Julie (Amy Adam), she was nearing 30 and miserable in a dead-end job in which she resolved to reclaim her life by cooking every recipe in Julia Child's cookbook and blogged about it: '365 days. 536 recipes. One girl and a crappy outer borough kitchen.' She then got famous. Then a movie got made about it.

I cried like a baby during this film to Juliane's amusement but it hit home and reminded me of some very important things. Just why am I blogging. My blog is in tatters and probably no one reads it. Who cares? Its a project I started to let people know what I am doing and something mentally stimulating to stop my brain from going to mush. I started it before I left and I may have an interesting way around completing it but I'm going to get it done - Eventually. My wit, lack of command of the English language and ability to talk absolute rubbish needs to be channelled.

I was unsure of what I've accomplished. But wait. The only reason I haven't been blogging is because I've not been glued in front of my laptop but instead I've been out living and experiencing my trip. I've accomplished what I had set out to do to have fun and see the world albeit lacked the discipline in documenting it (although some memories are best forgotten!)

Julia had found her purpose in her passion for French cooking. Julie had her blog about cooking through Julia's book. I went travelling in search for something. Despite going far and wide searching for whatever I was searching for - The answer was there all along. There is no answer! You can plan all you want, but you never quite know what organs might decide to explode. With a little passion and perseverance - Anything is possible. Anything can happen. If you stop worrying, you might just give it a chance to happen. I love my food and I love cooking. Who knows, if I ever marry an Officer... Hmm, maybe we just don't go there.

Underlining it all its been a love story of men whom have stood by theses women's passions. But passion swings both ways - When passion loves it is undeniable and vast but when it hates... Boy does it hate. To be able to love unconditionally and uncompromising through such passions take one hell of a fella. I think I want to wait out for one of those. Passionate or crazy... I'm one of those.

Why so deep today Cecilia? I guess I'm just scared of going home. To fall back in to the same routine, to make the same mistakes and above all, to forget all the lessons I've learnt.

Despite not having known who Julia Child was back in D.C., I was lucky that I did visit her kitchen in the Smithsonian Institute. I had completed a pilgrimage without knowing.

PS. I moved in to the Hotel Roger Williams on Madison Ave off 31 St, it was expensive but it was sooo worth it.

0 comments: